- Event Start6:30pm Friday 13th April 2018
- Event End12:30pm Sunday 15th April 2018
- Event LocationCutheringa Bowling Club, 8 Harold St, West End QLD 4810 (Friday
- Attached Information
- Event OrganiserSwing Dancing Townsville
Swing Dancing Townsville is proud to present its 4th Swing & Rock'n Roll Dance Festival! All our previous festivals were a massive success featuring a variety of Lindy Hop and Rock'n Roll workshops and sold out dance parties with heaps of entertainment.
On offer are again a range of Lindy Hop and Rock'n Roll dance workshops with Sydney Swing Katz and local teachers. For the first time ever, we are also offering a Beginners Aerial Workshop; learn to fly from the best there is! And last but not least we are again hosting a fabulous Saturday night 1950s Prom-themed costume party with live Rock'n Roll Band 45RPM & live Swing Band Sugar Trio. Yes, we are having 2 bands play again at the dance party!
Our hugely popular Fast & Fabulous 20 minutes 1950s hair and eye-make up touch-up sessions creating this hot vintage pin up look are also available again. And there will be lots more on offer!
With the exception of the Friday evening Aerial Workshop, the entire event takes place at Cutheringa Bowling Cub, 8 Harold Street, West End Townsville QLD 4810. The Friday evening Aerial Workshop takes place at Cajam Circus, Shed 3 15 Oonoonba Road, Idalia QLD 4811. See 'Dance Workshops' below for more information.
- Justin Di Paola, Head Choreographer Sydney Swing Katz / Manager Blue Suede Shoes Dance School/ Dance Instructor, has been dancing ever since he could walk! He has won anything and everything one can win in vintage dancing. His 'rubber legs' quality allows him to perform spectacular stunts on the dance floor. Justin's passion for dancing and keeping the original form of Rock’n Roll and Swing dancing alive continues with his teaching career. His flair is speed and styling along with his fancy footwork. His choreographies are entertaining and jaw dropping, here is their latest dance routine "Breaking Up the House"
- James Star, Sydney Swing Katz performer, dance teacher and hugely successful competitor. In his more than 12 years of dancing, he has developed a unique style and some fast footwork. Some of James' achievements are two time title holder of the NSW State Title Rock n Roll Championships and current 2017 NSW State Title Holders in Lindy Hop, with fellow Kat Suzie. They also placed 2nd in Amateur Lindy Hop at Camp Hollywood 2016.
- Suzie Braumann, Sydney Swing Katz performer, seasoned and also incredibly successful competitor, dance teacher and choreographer. Out on the dance floor Suzie is up there with the best of them, where her smile, passion for the dance and love of the music shine through. With her dance troupe The Felinez, Suzie is the current title holder in the team event of the 2017 NSW State Titles as well as winning the 2017 Sydney Lindy Exchange.
- Bettina Naughton competed in Europe in Boogie Woogie dancing for more than a decade ranking amongst the top 60 dance couples in the world. She began competing again in 2015 and has taken numerous trophies home both in Rock'n Roll and Lindy Hop dancing. With her dance partner John Lizzio from Cairns Rock'n Roll Dance Club she ranked first place in the Slow Swing Senior/Master category at the 2017 NSW Swing Dance Titles. Bettina now runs Swing Dancing Townsville teaching weekly Lindy Hop classes and choreographing for Townsville’s Lindy Hop Performance Group.
- Dance On Townsville is a social group of people, looking to share their love of dance with others. Their teachers combine fun, knowledge and humour during classes inspiring dancers to give anything a go and enjoy themselves.
Friday 13 April 2018 evening workshops
On offer are 4-step Rock'n Roll and Partner Dancing workshops with local teachers from Dance On Townsville taking place at Cutheringa Bowling Cub, 8 Harold Street, West End Townsville QLD 4810. Classes are $10 per person per lesson and tickets need to be booked individually.
We also offer a Friday evening Beginner Aerial workshop with Sydney Swing Katz taking place at Cajam Circus, Shed 3 15 Oonoonba Road, Idalia QLD 4811. This workshop must be booked as a couple as dancers will not rotate partners. Cost is $80 per couple and tickets need to be booked individually.
Saturday 14 April and Sunday 15 April 2018 workshops
On offer are Lindy Hop and Rock'n Roll dance workshops with Sydney Swing Katz taking place at Cutheringa Bowling Cub, 8 Harold Street, West End Townsville QLD 4810. Class levels range from Absolute Beginner classes through to beyond beginners and intermediate.
Individual workshop costs are: $20 per person per lesson per person, the aerial workshop is $80 per couple. Packages offering significant discounts ($10 - $30) are available through online ticketing.
Please see the workshop schedule attached (section Event Attachments) for workshop times and topics. Please review the required level of experience for each workshop prior to booking.
Workshops are limited in participant numbers! With the exception of the Aerial workshop, you do not need a partner to book.
Please wear flat shoes (no runners) and comfortable clothes allowing range of movement for any of the Lindy Hop and Rock'n Roll workshops.
FAST & FABULOUS HAIR & EYE MAKEUP SESSIONS - Cutheringa Bowling Cub, 8 Harold Street, West End Townsville QLD 4810
Book in with Miss Billie Beau who will give your hair and/or eyes a professional touch-up to create this hot sexy vintage pin up look. Eye Makeup Sessions are $30 each and Hair Makeup Sessions are $40 each.
Miss Billie Beau is a seasoned performer in Burlesque dancing including Charleston, blues dance, bump & grind and GoGo - and is one of the Directors of Queen B Burlesque. Miss Billie has experience in stage hair, makeup and outfit styling for dancers and performers!
Only 8 slots available on Saturday 14 April during the lunch break and the first number of hours of The Prom! dance party.
Tickets to the sessions are sold online. Ad hoc sessions will only be available if not sold out through online ticketing. Cash only please for ad hoc sessions!
SATURDAY NIGHT 14 APRIL DANCE PARTY: THE PROM! WITH 45RPM AND SUGAR TRIO LIVE BANDS - Cutheringa Bowling Cub, 8 Harold Street, West End Townsville QLD 4810
6.30pm to late
Dress up! 1940s - 1960s pin up glamour & fun please!
The Prom! highlights:
- Authentic Rock'n Roll Live Band 45RPM
- Swing Band Sugar Trio (Townsville Jazz Club)
- DJ Justin Di Paola with more Rock'n Roll & Swing music
- Complimentary Rock'n Roll class [for everyone, no experience needed]
- Dance Performances involving all dance teachers
- Prizes for Best Dressed Gal & Best Dressed Guy
- And more!
Cutheringa Bowling Club Bar open! Strictly NO BYO please.
Tickets to the Prom are $30 per Person if purchased online. Packages combining The Prom with workshops are available offering discounts between $10 and $30 (accessible through online ticketing only).
If not sold out online, tickets for The Prom! will be sold at the door for $35 per Person [Cash only please].
INQUIRIES: Bettina Naughton from Swing Dancing Townsville on 0423 217 997 or [email protected]
PRIVATE LESSONS - Cutheringa Bowling Cub, 8 Harold Street, West End Townsville QLD 4810
Justin, James and Suzie are available from Friday lunchtime until Sunday lunchtime for a limited number of private lessons (half hour $40 or one hour $70) at Cutheringa Bowling Club. Don’t miss out on this rare opportunity to improve your personal dance abilities and receive personalised professional tuition and feedback!
Inquiries and bookings with Bettina Naughton from Swing Dancing Townsville on 0423 217 997 or email@example.com
The organisers reserve the right to alter or postpone the program or change venues if unusual circumstances require (e.g. severe weather event, or for participant safety, etc.)
All Credit Card Payments attract a Merchant and Admin Fee of 2.9% plus a $1.00 Booking Fee
By purchasing this ticket, the ticket holder/s have agreed to the full set of terms and conditions as outlined on the ticketing website. Ticket holders do not need to present their tickets upon entry to the event. Government issued Photo ID and a valid ticket will be required upon entry to validate authenticity as a ticket holder. Refunds will be issued by Local Tickets Pty Ltd if this event is cancelled before the schedule start date and time for any reason including inclement weather, or reasons beyond the event hosts control such as severe weather, flood, fire, explosion, civil disobedience, riot, labour disturbances, failure or delay in transportation, war, sabotage or other acts of God. If the event is rescheduled, Local Tickets Pty Ltd reserves the right to decide whether Ticket Holders will automatically be refunded, or whether tickets will be transferred to another date with a refund option. Local Tickets Pty Ltd reserves the right to deduct administration and merchant fee charges on all refunds from Ticket Holders regardless of the reason for the refund. Ticket Holder details may be used by Local Tickets Pty Ltd and the Event Organiser for marketing purposes. Latecomers may be admitted at the discretion of the Event Host/Promoter. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a paying adult. Attendees must comply with all alcohol, smoking and behavioural laws within the event venue and or grounds. Attendees to the event must comply with the following dress standards, no thongs, or any other dress standard as required by law. Mobile phones must be turned off before entry.
Please wear comfortable clothes which allow a range of movement and flat shoes (sand shoes, ballerinas, low heel dance shoes, etc.). Runners are not recommended as they make dancing quite difficult.
Please arrive on time for the dance workshops as classes commence and finish on time.
Dress code 1940s to 1960s pin up glamour and fun please.
This event is organised by Swing Dancing Townsville. For more information please contact Swing Dancing Townsville on 0423217997